Sunday, July 15, 2007

Day 1

If you ever come to MARBLE/marble, sign up for the meal plan! This is my second M/m and first experience with the meal plan. I'll never go back. First, you have some pretty excellent cooking at a bargain price. Last night we had what grew up calling "hay stacks" (well, a mean variation: Delicious ground beef and jalapenos). This morning 'chef' Mark is making Oatmeal. But not just any oatmeal: fresh apples and ginger mixed in. With the cooking plan, you also get much more exposure to the staff and fellow artists: a huge part of the total experience.

My stone is a beautiful translucent white specimen of Colorado Yule. It's about 36x10x10.


Today fussed with my maquette too much. Encouraged by Kathi Caricof (one of the several outstanding staff) I finally forced myself to 'fire' it in the oven down at the kitchen.


This is the famous Dining Table. This is one of several photos I've created with Photoshop CS3's powerful new photomerge feature. This one is created from three vertically stacked photos.


On the day of arrival, I spent some of my free time up around the Marble Quarry. This photo is taken close to the gate which keeps the public out of the quarry property. (three photos merged, uncropped).

Humble abode. No cooking mess!

I removed a lot of marble with an in-line air chisel today. Tomorrow, I'll use a 5" diamond blade for more removal. The in-line chisel will create "bruises" going into the marble and must be used carefully.