Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Day 4 - Lipo


Today's 10am session was Cool Tools. Two tool vendors come to each M/m session to hawk their wares and this is when we find out why we need them all. $400 on an Italian in-line chisel is typical. This can get expensive.


The afternoon session, Fase Off, has two accomplished staff sculptors -- Rex and Scott -- sculpting a face in wood (Rex) and marble (Scott). Very informative and entertaining.


I broke my maquette today. It fell to the ground and before I knew it I had stepped on it and shattered it. Bummer. But it did force me into a needed shift in focus.


Today, I mainly did liposuction to the sculpture (she needs a name): gradually pullling in surfaces to where they need to be. This year's sculpture (and last) is mainly nice nurbs-like surfaces and are best shaped with the MadKat diamond blade. Next year I want to switch radically to an almost entirely chiseled piece with much more fine detail.


Speaking of next year, note to self: bring a fan. Helps keep the dust and flys at bay.