Friday, July 20, 2007

Day 6 - Sanding and Sipping















With all of the major surfaces finally placed where I want them, its on to sanding. With new diamond-grit pads, this isn't nearly so time consuming as it once was. Colorado Yule is especially attractive when sanded to around 220 grit. At this point, the marble crystals come alive and put on a show.
The workshop this morning was on pinning and mounting. My piece will be pinned to a granite base so this was quite relevant and very informative.

At 2pm, Scott delivered his much-anticipated treatise on art. Indescribable. At three Kathi Caricof gave a talk and demo on relief carving. Next year, I think I'll incorporate some of this into my piece.

This evening was the Redstone Art Center's annual Sculpture Exhibition where I entered my piece from last year's MARBLE/marble. Again, this was an amazing event. An unbelievable spread of food; free-flowing wine; old and new friendships.
One of the above photos is M/m founder Madeline with one of her amazing pieces. Check out that face!
Were I not so tired, I'd add much more. And will...when I can also add photos. Check back early next week. ***