Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Day 2



Fortified by what was probably the best oatmeal I've ever had (chef Mark sautes fresh ginger and apples in butter, then adds to cooked oatmeal along with cinnamon, raisins and brown sugar), I'm set for a good start this morning.

Baking the maquette was a big help. Primarily because it forced me to stop futzting with it! With all of these intersecting planes and lines, the model is critical for the first two or three days. I'll be modifying the final sculpture compared to the model: I've decided to have her back more sharply arched. This was not possible with the maquette due to her spine (a 20 penny nail).
Well ahead of where I was last year at this point, the stone is beginning to take shape. Throughout the day it did a lot of work with an in-line chisel, pealing off layers parallel to the 'bedding plane. Several times I'm reminded of the helpful tips and instruction I got last year from Roger Seal. Rodger past away earlier. He was a much-loved fixture at M/m and is sorely missed by all who have met him. The M/m t-shirts and name cards this year are tie-died in Rodger's honor and there will be a memorial ceremony later this week.

With help from Kathi and Petro, a whole new perspective opens up with the marble drilled and mounted upright. I'm getting excited.

The maquette is a critical reference today. Tomorrow I'll probably begin to set her aside: her job is nearly done.

An evening rainstorm that wouldn't quit forced a postponing of the slide show.

Uploading images from the satellite connection at the Inn at Raspberry Ridge (adjacent B&B) is painfully slow. I think they seriously need a dish alignment. I'll likely not upload more than one per day and follow up with the others when I next drive down to town.

Sore muscles! Where is that bottle of ibuprofen?