Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Getting Ready for MARBLE/marble XIV

It's that time of year again. This Saturday I head back up to Marble, Colorado for the 19th MARBLE/marble symposium. My sculpture from last year ("Muse of the Dance") has been accepted into this year's annual Sculpture Exibition at Redstone Art Center so I am spending much of this week perfecting the finish.

A few changes for this year's adventure:

- Go for the "meal plan" and not drag up all my cooking gear.
- Sculpt a smaller stone. Last year's Muse piece is a couple hundred pounds and a royal pain in the butt to move around.
- Avoid acute angles. Surface finishing is hard enough without this constraint.
- Consider sculpting something other than Colorado Yule. There are some marvelous stones available from Myles.
- Look for new internet connection. Last year, nearest wifi is was a 45 minute.

Tonight I'm pulling out the clay to begin the ideation process. Any suggestions?